Sunday 31 May 2009

London Street Style....Black&White

I've been looking for a photo to "black&white" for awhile but somehow none seemed to really work. I guess a lot of my street photos, because they are about personal style, rely on colour and "pop" to work and, while they are shot on busy city streets with (occasionally) a lot of distractions in the background, none seemed exactly right for conversion to monochrome. When I was shooting this girl, I knew I wanted to emphasise the shadows and light on her face, her shape and sensational short platinum hair. B&W was playing at the back of my mind.....

Et voilĂ ! I finally got my b&w photo!

And who is she? A talented fashion student who has just finished her MA at the London College of Fashion (some of her clothes were on the catwalk at The Clothes Show at ExCel). Her friend, Manjit Deu, who I photographed (2nd photo from top) at London Fashion Week earlier this year, actually won the Collection of the Year Award at the postgrad awards in January! And no, they didn't tell me this (too modest).....I secret-squirreled it out with a little stealthy googling :)

Keep these two on your fashion radar: I suspect they are going very fashionable places.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictue - love the light, the B&W works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Alan! This is actually the second time I have photographed her (London is actually a very small place it seems!), the first was about 6 weeks ago. The first time I completely stuffed up the background and I didn't use the photo. Luckily this time it all went well- phew :)

    ReplyDelete